Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Pool on a Nice Sunny Day

So, yesterday my page veiws spiked to well over 100, nearly 150. It was amazing to see, if not confusing, exciting, and nerve wracking. I wasn't expecting so much traffic, so much success at this whole blogging thing so quickly. Even if it was just one spike, one little fluke, it was still nice to realize that so many people were interested enough to look at my work. This blog was mostly a way to get my thoughts down, and to start holding myself accountable for my own marketing, archiving, and promotion as an artist. I have two semesters left before I go out into the big scary world. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly apprciated. I'm adsorbing as much as I can, but still, some words direct from the source would be nice. :)

I wish I had more paintings like those to show, but those take time- I'm getting some more laid out, and hopefully I'll be able to finish them during class time tomorrow.

See, right now I'm crashing at a friend's apartment during the week for class. It's about the most happening place Oxford has during the summer, due to is large pool and multiple hot tubs. It's a great place to meet new people, even ones that aren't students and don't live there! It's also about the only thing to do, since this bodunk college town is all but deserted. It's an idylic little place with cobble stone streets and wonderful restaurants, but there's not much to do since everyone's gone and I'm very broke. Maybe I'll wander around uptown tomorrow and do some drawings up there since it's no longer overran by drunks and frat guys.

 So of course, with no real homework, no money to spend, and few of my friends in town- I've been spending afternoons down by the pool, trying to work on my pasty complexion, and of course, doodling away in my sketchbook. I've never been one to sit still, so just laying back and relaxing isn't for me. Most girls were just napping or reading, and the guys weren't all that active either, but it made for a good opportunity to draw some foreshortened nearly nude figures.

I'm still not real used to the texture of the handmade paper in my sketchbook, but it seems to hold pen decently, and it's a great conversation piece. It scans pretty decently as well.Has a nice old feeling to it.  And smell. Gotta love that smell.







  





 






2 comments:

  1. Some nice sketches. I particularly like the figure of the young woman lying on her stomach on the chaise-lounge. She looks very comfortable and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the second-to-last one personally.

    Also, I know what you mean. I'm up to about 150 a week right now, and I actually manage a total of like 30 blogs. Though I only actively post on a couple of them, and like right now, sometimes I will have a few weeks where I don't post anything at all, and other times when I post a whole lot.

    The key really is just to develop networks by finding other blogs that you really like and reading them/posting comments. The other thing is just to keep posting quality content. The more you post, the more people will show up at your blog.

    ReplyDelete