Thursday, May 10, 2012

20 Paintings in 5 Days

With the last weeks of my school career closing in, and life throwing me some of the biggest speed bumps I'd even encountered, I decided it was time to buckle down and leave school with a bang. I knew it would be a long time until I have a space to devote solely to artwork again, and this might be the last time I see some of these friends. I might as well make the most of it while I have it, right?



I postponed my final critique. I rewrote my proposal for the semester, and I stocked up on caffeine. I knew I was in for a long few nights. The last meeting of class, while other students were stretching their final canvases and adding finishing touches to otherwise fabulous paintings, I was cutting down sheets of stonehenge paper. I was starting a new project, and it was one I would have mocked myself for 4 years earlier.

I had a nice, big stack of 25 pieces of paper, 7x11 inches. Some of them marked up, others completely blank. I gave myself 5 days to completely cover every piece of paper with a finished piece.

Like I said, I was in for a few very long nights, and some hard days in the studio, cranking out one unique piece after another. It was an exercise in scale, finish, and quantity that turned out to be a daunting task.






Take a look at some of my finished pieces below:






 













No comments:

Post a Comment