Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oh Man... Good news and bad news.

Sorry for the quiet on my end everyone, life's been happening. If you don't want to know about it- here's the pretty pictures first, and then the news!!!

The most important part is the art. I've been doing more NYC paintings. Some of these are completely finished, others aren't quite there yet. I really wanted to get more of these done, but they take a surprising amount of time and effort for such little pieces. It's also becoming a challenge to keep from repeating myself, and make all of these paintings different enough that I don't get bored with them. That's why I'm jumping at the chance to make a big one and experiment on a larger scale. I'm having a ton of fun with the mixed media, so that will probably stick around even after I move on from this subject matter.

They're all 8x14, pastel and acrylic, on Stonehenge paper. They're cute little big paintings, I suppose.






This is the only one I'd say is wholly unfinished, as drama and life seem to keep cutting my work time short right when I get a flow going. Gr. 

Good news first.

I've gotten a spot in an art show! I'll be right alongside some really amazing artists, most of them pretty well established. This'll be my first real show, so I'm super jazzed and nervous. I'm doing a new piece for it, based off of my NYC city scapes, but it'll be BIG. Like, 3x4ft minimum. Hopefully it won't be too much of an undertaking, these little study-like works seem to be taking a lot more effort and time than mot pieces of their size. A large scale one will be a lot more difficult and time consuming, but probably more freeing in the end. I don't have much else to do, especially with class ending later this week. So all I have to deal with is logistics of working space, and constructing a panel brace. Which I've only done once and that was a bit of a disaster. This time it has to be like, professional level craft. Man oh man...

Show opens July 29th, and I'll have more information about it later and updates on how the piece is coming along.

Bad news second.

 I've hopped apartments once this past week, and I'm going to be with my folks for the rest of the summer by the end of this week. My previous roommate was self destructive and spiraling into a really deep depression. He was collapsing physically, mentally, and emotionally, and would insult me any time I attempted to voice my concerns or help. Last week a particularly bad incident happened, and I've decided that for my own sanity, I can't deal with it anymore up close. So I got the fuck out. I'll help pick up the pieces once he does break down, but I'm not going to be in the blast radius where I'll get hurt myself. I'm with another friend now, who doesn't have reliable internet or a bed for me to sleep on. I have a been bag chair in the corner. Once class ends, I have to bid goodbye to the hot tubs, sunny loungers, and sleepy little college town and hello to my own bed, puppy, and the dreadfully dull suburbs. I won't have nearly as good of a scanner, or a decent work space. And my plans for doing more drawings of the actual town itself will have to be put on hold...

But I'll find a way to manage. I can move into my campus house in August. With roommates who are sane.


So yeah. That's my week. I'll be able to update once I move back home with news on how my crit of these paintings went, and how my work at home goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment