Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Unexpected Studio Visit



The painting I'm actually working on is coming along nicely. It's large, and brightly colored. There's some problems with it still, but it's coming along nicely. 20 days-ish to finish it up. Scary deadline. Any ideas, criticisms, or suggestions will be gladly accepted. <3
Working at night has it's problems, besides lighting and bugs. Last night I was happily working away, and all of a sudden, there was something at my feet. Black, small, and UGLY. It sorta looked like a rat, and at first I didn't know what it was. Thank god it had a collar on, otherwise I would have though it was a rat or something... Both my parents had gone to bed. My dog doesn't get along with other dogs, and is usually pretty irritable late at night. So I scooped it up and went inside anyway, got them up, and well called their family. Poor thing had been missing for hours, scared away by fireworks.

We're currently trying to figure out how I can paint inside. So no more bugs, heat, or y'know, stray dogs.

It other news, all of those NYC studies have been matted and framed, and are actually at a show right now! 4 of them got in, and are on sale for $90. The other two are also for sale through me. (You might have to fight my mom for one of them). Show opens on Friday at Red Tree Gallery in Maderia. Stop on by! One of the pieces was also featured on the front page of myartspace.com. Totally cool.

Now that all of that is done, I'm trying to get a few smaller projects going. having this little bit of sucess with this body of work has definitely given me confidence, and taught me a lot. I just need to find motivation and inspiration while stuck at home. Guess I get to go poking around the internet, and looking more and more at books.

I've also discovered I work better when I have more than one piece going. That way, when I get frustrated or lost in one piece, I don't have to fight through it and make it worse, or just stop arting all together, I can just put it in time out facing the wall so I don't have to look at it and work on a different project. And when I take it out of time out a few days later, I can look at it with fresh, un frustrated eyes, and figure out what I need to do to fix the problem. I'm just lacking motivation and inspiration right now:/ I think I need to go back and read my artist statement from last semester's painting class to see if I can get any ideas.I had some good stuff going on, and it could go even further if I want to go back to those ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment